Friday, January 13, 2012

The Luxury of Time

Hello.  For the most part having the luxury of time has not been my approach to life. Lately though, I've been working hard on so many fronts, got sick which knocked me out so I've been re-evaluating. I am feeling better although from time to time still get nauseous. Again I repeat that if I hadn't seen that doctor I would still be in the throws of it. So with the flu I will no longer suffer and try to wait it out, let it run its course. No no.

Back to the luxury of time. Today I feel it is important to listen to my mind and body and they are telling me to relax, slow down, enjoy being still. I am never still except when sleeping. There is always the need to be doing something and when in that head it can be counter  productive. The mind and body does need to replenish. I know this but do I think of it and try to practice even a bit of this self-care? Seldom. So I am trying to slow it down, think more about my next move or that moment the present.  That can be applied to all aspects of healthy living.

Reading. My mind is going one-hundred-and-fifty mph. Can I read that fast and take in every word let alone comprehend what I'm reading?  NO. I didn't even make the connection until now. I feel the need to speed along because I am conditioned to go non-stop. Reading becomes another thing to get through instead of a way to enrich my mind. I can tell you now that I am not smart enough to be a speed reader and comprehend it all. So if I do not slow down it is a waste of time, energy and what do I take away from the experience...very little. I think of this as very positive news because life is not a race. 

Of course it can also be my approach in the studio. There are more times than I would like to admit when I am plowing ahead not thinking about other options, approaches - sometimes to good effect other times leading to frustration. Realizing that if I had thought about it I might have had cleaner, better result quicker. I do thrive on the spontaneity but I can have both and the work will no doubt benefit. 


This thought process or approach to life has been in the back of my mind for a long time but I didn't see how simple the remedy might be. I do not delude myself into thinking that if I get methodical about things then all will be fine. After all it's still me we are talking about here. But I do think there will be huge improvements and I may be a nicer person to be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment